By Seth Fera-Schanes
We put together 2 date suggestions for each of the 5 boroughs. Whether you are planning for Valentine’s day or just a weekend outing with that special someone, this list has you covered.
- Jazz Tour: Louis Armstrong house – Located in Corona, Queens you can actually walk around the house where the famous musician lived for almost three decades. Full Access recommended destination!
- Museum of the Moving Image – Childhood nostalgia, geeking out, or whatever you want to call it. If you are both into tv and movies, then make this a stop on your Valentine’s day outing.
- Edgar Allen Poe House – While the famous writer and poet only lived here for a couple years, it is worth a trip to the Bronx to visit this historic little cottage. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for kids and seniors. Conveniently located off the B,D subway lines.
- Italian Food on Arthur Ave – Those in the know head up to the Bronx for a range of Italian food. Not only are the restaurants great but there are bread bakers, Italian pastry shops and Italian markets. Full Access Recommended destination!
- Pizza Stop – Di Fara on Avenue J off the Q train. Started in 1959 and still run by Domenico DeMarco. If you are going to go, call first because if DeMarco isn’t there, they won’t be open.
- Brighton Beach Markets – Tour some of the best Russian markets within the five boroughs. Check out Taste of Russia, Brighton Bazaar and many others. Pick up a few traditional foods, some pastries and then head over to the beach boardwalk for a (probaby chilly, it’s February afterall) picnic.
- Staten Island Museum – Over 125 years old and just a ferry ride away. Stop by for 1-2 hours and then head over to the botanical garden
- Snug Harbor Cultural Center Botanical Garden – Located 2 miles from the museum, get your fill of flowers, artwork and performance art.
- Museum of Sex – Not sure if this is low hanging fruit but our contributing editor Marsha Clarke stopped by their bar and had a pleasurable time. You can also visit the museum and visit their store on the way out.
- Rice to Riches – Gourmet rice pudding right on Spring Street. This would probably be a stop on your Valentine’s day walking tour or after dinner. Full Access recommended dessert spot! Note: you can overnight this treat around the country. It’s a little pricey to do but worth the reaction from friends and family.